I know I’ve been overloading you with berries. It’s summer: get over it! Those steak tacos on Wednesday were your respite from berries to real food.
I’ve never really thought about combining fruit and cheese together in a hot dip, but it really makes a TON of sense. We eat pounds of brie every week, often with jam and crackers, so why not combine fruit and cheese in a different way? Introducing: hot smoked gouda strawberry cheese dip. Very much inspired by Jessica and her hot blueberry cheddar dip. I can’t wait for blueberry season to try that!
Buy (or make) a delicious baguette or long seeded loaf. This one was whole grain with little seeds and was AMAZING. I slathered (lightly) each side with butter before baking them crisp. You could use olive oil if you’d rather.
Combine cheese + cream cheese + strawberries for a melty success. Bake away! The top will puff and brown, the cheese will melt, the strawberries will seep their fruity redness into the rest of the dip. You’ll die in anticipation.
This dip should be eaten ASAP, probably with friends, probably outside, probably every day. ENJOY!
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz smoked gouda, grated
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 baguette, sliced into ½" rounds
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Combine the cream cheese and gouda, mixing until completely incorporated. Gently fold in the strawberries. If the mixture is too thick, layer cheese mixture and strawberries in the next step.
- Put the cheese and strawberry mixture in an ovensafe container, and bake on the top rack of the oven for 40 minutes or until the top is golden.
- With 20 minutes remaining, butter each side of the bread slices and place in a single layer on an unlined baking sheet. Cook for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and eat immediately.