Throwback Thursday! This is perfect timing: BERRY SEASON IS FAST APPROACHING! I’ve been stocking up on all sorts of sale items this week at the grocery: cheap strawberries and cheap avocados! My guacamole consumption at the moment is obscene. In a wonderful way. AS IS MY STRAWBERRY SWIRL POUNDCAKE INTAKE! Oh man. I actually need help — anyone in PDX want some pound cake? I have most of this one in the freezer now, to prevent me from eating all of it in one sitting! Oof.
This is a post from way-back-when, so the rest of the post is from the original! Enjoy! xo
Have you guys heard that new(ish) Mariah Carey song, Beautiful? Decently catchy, kinda; however, WHAT THE HELL IS SHE THINKING!? The first time I heard her say “I love [it] when you run red lights” I thought, “She couldn’t have really said that, right? That’d be crazy.” No, she says that. Girl: did your mama never teach you about SAFETY? Running red lights (especially whilst on the back of a motorcycle) just doesn’t sound safe, nor smart, nor even FUN to me. Yikes.
Am I crazy? I’ll take my law-abiding safety-conscious self over a flattened pavement decoration any day. It’s seriously distracting to listen to the song, because I just can’t help but lecture her in my head!
Onto other smart choices: strawberry swirl pound cake! OH YES. This stuff is pretty darn addicting, especially with the strawberry glaze — the flavor is pretty intense strawberry.
The recipe makes two large loaves — I should admit that these pictures are of only 1/2 recipe. I’m a big fan of sour cream pound cakes, so that’s what I did for this one! It is SO moist!
- 3¼ cups sifted AP or cake flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2½ cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and prepare two 8" loaf pans with butter and flour.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the vanilla and sour cream. Mix until smooth.
- In two batches, add the flour to the wet mixture, mixing until just incorporated.
- With a hand blender, puree the strawberries until smooth. Add the brown sugar. Set ¼ cup of the pureed strawberries aside for later.
- Fill each loaf pan halfway up with cake batter, then pour about ⅓ cup (half of remaining for each pan) of strawberry puree on top. Pour the rest of the batter on top of the strawberries, and use a butter knife to swirl everything together.
- Bake for 65-70 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. You may need to tent with foil to avoid too much browning. Let cool before mixing the remaining strawberry puree with the powdered sugar and pouring over the loaves.